In the following questions sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word. Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the best alternative.
English vocabulary exercise
1. If you occupy a position of power, you will have plenty of people ————— at your feet.
2. We will have to find some way of ————– the negotiations, if we are to win our objective.
3. She showed great ————— and finesse in dealing with the troublesome situation.
4. She —————- her inheritance and married outside her parent’s faith.
5. I couldn’t help but admire the —————- with which he faced his detractors.
6. Their stance on this issue is —————– and nobody knows how they are likely to react.
7. When pressed for a firm answer, she ——————.
b) gave up
8. Conversation stopped as we —————— the church.
b) entered at
c) entered into
d) entered to
9. She —————- a rich businessman old enough to be her dad.
b) married with
c) married to
d) married off
10. That child does not —————– either of its parents.
b) resemble to
c) resemble with
d) resemble of
11. The train is now —————- the Victoria Terminus.
b) approaching to
c) approaching at
d) approaching on
12. She —————– her disapproval of the show by leaving the auditorium.
13. Her questions must have provoked him for they ————– a bitter retort.
14. Her silence merely ——————- the problem.
15. This book is an ————— account of the author’s life.
16. They bought the apartment at an —————- price.
17. Her shameless affair is the ————— in the family cupboard.
18. Coaching classes often act as the —————- to success in competitive examinations.
19. If we both put our ————— on the table it would be easier to come to an agreement.
20. That continuous noise is driving me up the ————–
21. Babar’s soldiers were armed to the ————– as they attacked the Lodhi army.
22. The thieves took to their ————— as the policemen arrived.
23. He has money in ————— but he still doesn’t do anything to help others.
d) great amount
24. The poor woman has ————– many hardships after her husband died many years ago.
25. Many explorers who —————- to climb Mt. Everest and have become successful.