Ago is used with a past tense and a time expression to count back from a moment in the present; before is used with a past perfect tense to count back from a past moment.
Click here for a printer-friendly version of this ago or before worksheet
If you want to learn the correct usage of ago and before before doing this exercise, go to these study pages.
Complete the following sentences using ago or before whichever is appropriate.
1. James phoned five minutes
2. Have you ever been here
? Yes I was here a year
3. Peters father died two years
4. He was ill for two years
. he died.
5. I met that man in Vienna three years
6. They would die
.. they give in.
7. I realized that I had met her
8. We have been living here since eight years
9. The train went out ten minutes
10. I have seen that film
1. James phoned five minutes ago.
2. Have you ever been here before? Yes I was here a year ago.
3. Peters father died two years ago.
4. He was ill for two years before he died.
5. I met that man in Vienna three years ago.
6. They would die before they give in.
7. I realized that I had met her before.
8. We have been living here since eight years ago.
9. The train went out ten minutes ago.
10. I have seen that film before.
Teachers and parents may print these worksheets for their students. Click here for a printer-friendly version of this ago or before worksheet.
More Grammar worksheets
Subscribe to our feed and get a grammar ebook for free
Subscribe to our feed and get our eBook 'Perfect Your Sentences: 120 Grammar and vocabulary mistakes to avoid' for free. You will also receive free English grammar, writing and vocabulary lessons. Just leave your email in the box given below. The download link will be sent by email.
For a comprehensive account of English grammar, visit our section English Grammar. For English grammar and vocabulary exercises, visit Grammar and vocabulary exercises. For Business English writing lessons visit Business English New!