Practical English Usage
English Grammar and vocabulary exercises
Transitive and intransitive verbs worksheet
Name the verbs in the following sentences and state whether they are used transitively or intransitively.Notes
Verbs that are followed by objects are called transitive verbs. Verbs that are not normally followed by objects are called intransitive verbs.
Transitive verbs worksheet
1. Some ants fight fiercely.
2. The explosion sank the ship.
3. He spoke the truth.
4. He spoke loudly.
5. Boil the water.
6. The motorman stopped the train.
7. The horse kicked the boy.
8. The sun rises in the morning.
9. The watchman blew his whistle.
10. The poor widow killed herself.
11. He took shelter under a tree.
12. The birds sang sweetly.
13. The fire burns brightly.
14. Birds fly in the sky.
15. Time heals all wounds.
16. Lets invite Bob and Mary.
17. You surprised me.
18. Do sit down.
19. I usually sleep well.
20. Lets eat something.
21. She opened the windows.
22. I cant start the car.
23. Motherhood has really changed her.
24. The thief escaped.
25. My father built a house.
1. Intransitive verb fight; no object
2. Transitive verb sank; object the ship
3. Transitive verb spoke; object the truth
4. Intransitive verb spoke; no object
5. Transitive verb boil; object the water
6. Transitive verb stopped; object the train
7. Transitive verb kicked; object the boy
8. Intransitive verb rises; no object
9. Transitive verb blew; object his whistle
10. Transitive verb killed; object herself
11. Transitive verb took; object shelter
12. Intransitive verb sang; no object
13. Intransitive verb burns; no object
14. Intransitive verb fly; no object
15. Transitive verb heals; object all wounds
16. Transitive verb invite; Object Bob and Mary
17. Transitive verb surprised; Object me
18. Intransitive verb sit; No object
19. Intransitive verb sleep; No object
20. Transitive verb eat; Object something
21. Transitive verb opened; Object the windows
22. Transitive verb start; Object the car
23. Transitive verb changed; Object her
24. Intransitive verb escaped; No object
25. Transitive verb built; Object a house
Teachers and parents may print these worksheets for their students. Click here for a printer-friendly version of this page.
For a comprehensive account of English grammar, visit our section English Grammar. For English grammar and vocabulary exercises, visit Grammar and vocabulary exercises. For Business English writing lessons visit Business English New!
More grammar worksheetsRelative pronouns worksheet
Kinds of nouns
Comparative and superlative - worksheet 2
Few, a few, the few
Can't find it?
|English Grammar |||Practical English Usage |||Grammatical terms |||English Writing |||English speaking |||English vocabulary|
Teachers may print these pages for their students. Any other reproduction or republishing of material from this site, in hard copy or electronic form, without written permission, is prohibited.Page Last Modified on February 10, 2011
|Copyright © 2006 - 2011 perfectyourenglish.com |
All Rights Reserved.