Showing one's attitude to what one is saying
Posted By Manjusha, Filed in English Speaking
Key words and phrases
Honestly can be used to claim that one is speaking sincerely.
- Honestly, I never said a word to him about the money.
Both honestly and frankly can introduce critical remarks.
- ‘Honestly, John, why do you have to be so rude?’
- ‘What do you think of my hair?’ ‘Frankly, dear, it is a disaster.’
No doubt suggests that the speaker thinks something is probable, but doesn’t know for certain himself or herself.
- No doubt, the Romans enjoyed telling jokes, just like us.
No doubt is often used to mean probably or I suppose.
- No doubt, it will rain soon.
- You are tired, no doubt. I will make you a cup of tea.
No doubt is not used alone to say that something is certain. Possible expressions are there is no doubt that (formal), without any doubt (formal), certainly and definitely.
- There is no doubt that the world is getting warmer. (NOT No doubt that the world is getting warmer.)
- Cycling is definitely healthier than driving.