- Is there any water in the bottle?
- Have you got any friends?
- Have they got any children?
- Are there any witnesses?
- Do you need any help?
- I havent got any money.
- I have hardly any food in the larder.
- You never give me any help.
Any is also common after if
- If you need any help, let me know.
Any, no, not any
Note that any alone does not have a negative meaning. It is negative only when it is used with not.
- See that you dont do any damage. (NOT See that you do any damage.)
No means the same as not any, but is more emphatic.
- He has got no friends. (More emphatic than He hasnt got any friends.)
Any and Any of
- Do any of these books belong to you?
- I dont think any of us want to work tomorrow.
- She doesnt like any of my friends.
- If any of your friends is interested, let us know. (formal)
- If any of your friends are interested, let us know. (informal)
Any with singular countable nouns
Any is the plural equivalent of a/an. It is often used before plural and uncountable nouns.
- They recently bought a new car.
- Have they got any cars?
But note that any can be used before a singular countable noun with the meaning of it doesnt matter who/which/what.
- Can you recite any poem by heart?
- Do you know any cardiologist here?
With this meaning any is common in affirmative clauses as well.
- Come any day you like.
- There is some risk in any project.
Search the Dictionary of Practical English Usage
Acronyms and initialisms New!
Above and over
Accept and agree
Adverbs with two forms
Affect and effect
All and every
Already, just and yet
All and whole
A lot of, lots of, plenty of, a large amount of, a great deal of
Already and all ready New!
Alternate and alternative
Although and though
Amount and Number: differences New!
Anyhow and somehow
Articles - Rules for the use and omission of articles
Article A / an
As, because, since and for
As if and as though
As and though
Ask and ask for
As well as
As well as grammar
As well as grammar exercise
As, when and while
If you don't find what you want here feel free to contact me.
All Rights Reserved.