A common error in the use of comparatives
In comparative sentences be careful to compare the same part of two things. That of, these of and those of are necessary words that are often omitted.
- Incorrect: His teaching was like Jesus Christ.
- Correct: His teaching was like that of Jesus Christ.
- Incorrect: The size of the shoe must be the same as this shoe.
- Correct: The size of the shoe must be the same as that of this shoe.
- Incorrect: My painting is better than my friend.
- Correct: My painting is better than that of my friend. OR My painting is better than my friends.
- Incorrect: Her house is bigger than her friend.
- Correct: Her house is bigger than that of her friend. OR Her house is bigger than her friends house.
Have or have got: differences
Hear or listen to?
He or she and they
Words ending in -man
At or in?
Can or could?
Go or get?
Can and be able to
Can and could
Change of tenses
Close and shut
Cloth and clothes
Come and go
Comparative and superlative
Comparatives - a common error
On the contrary
Cool down and cool off
Correct pronunciation of the
Could have + past participle