Get with infinitives and -ing forms
- Lets get going.
The structure get + object + -ing form means make somebody or something start doing something.
- Dont get her talking about her problems.
Get can also be followed by an infinitive. This structure means manage or have an opportunity.
- When will I get to see you again? (= When will I get an opportunity to see you again?)
- I didnt get to see him - he had left before I arrived. (= I didnt manage to see him.)
The structure get to be means become.
- Cathy is getting to be a lovely girl. (= Cathy is becoming a lovely girl.)
The structure get + object + infinitive means make somebody/something do something.
- See if you can get her to sign that paper.
Sections in this article
Search the Dictionary of Practical English Usage