After help, we can use object + infinitive.
- He helped her to lift the box.
We often use the infinitive without to. This is rather informal.
- He helped her lift the box.
If you say that you cant help doing something, you mean that you cant stop yourself doing it.
- Sorry I broke the cup - I couldnt help it.
- I cant help wondering what I should do next.
Cant help can be followed by but + infinitive without to. The meaning is the same as cant help --- ing. This structure is common in American English.
- I cant help but wonder what I should do next.
...hardly ...when/before ...
Have or have got
Have vs Having
Hear and listen
He, she or they
How and what like?
However, yet, still, though
How ever and however
Search the Dictionary of Practical English Usage