If something is likely to happen, it is probably going to happen.
- She is likely to win. (= She is probably going to win.)
- Im likely to be busy tomorrow.
- Hes likely to come in the evening.
- Its likely to rain.
- The drivers careless was the most likely cause of the accident.
- Interest rates are likely to rise.
The structure more than likely is used to mean almost certain.
- Its more than likely that our candidate will win. (= It is almost certain that our candidate will win.)
Likely can be used before a noun to mean suitable.
- She is a likely candidate for the job.
Unlikely is the opposite of likely.
- She is unlikely to recognize me. (= She will probably not recognize me.)
- He is unlikely to agree.
Search the Dictionary of Practical English Usage